Thursday, December 4, 2008

He just won't go away



Today I listened to a radio call-in show in which people asked questions of erstwhile Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee. In response to a caller, he kept repeating that there is "irrefutable scientific evidence" that a fetus is a person from day one. Now, you may or may not agree with that. What interested me is that Huckabee is suddenly all about science. The man who says he doesn't believe in evolution, that schoolchildren should be made aware that other "theories" exist, and that "we just don't know" the age of the earth.

I like the way Wired Science blogger Loretta Hidalgo Whiteside puts it:
In science, being a "theory" is not a step below a "law." The "Theory of Relativity" by Albert Einstein is not waiting for its day in court when it graduates to "fact."

Huckabee has said, in essence, that everyone is entitled to their own facts. "If you want to believe that you and your family came from apes, that's fine. I'll accept that. I just don't happen to think that I did."

I just can't figure out what Huckabee has against apes. You could do a lot worse.

No comments: